Saturday, June 13, 2009

WAKE UP, WAKE UP

So said my 4-footed alarm clocks both this morning and this evening. They know when it is 6:00.

Lark is in the hills playing golf, staying at a half million dollar "cabin" on a lake, for 2 days so I'm on my own, and loving it. I got up this morning at 6:00 when summoned, fed the cats, made chili for my lunch, did several loads of "dry-cleaning", played on the computer, did some digital scrapping, watched several episodes of NCIS, ate 3 bowls of my chili, then took a nap.

I was summoned again at 6:00 pm. Now I'm ready for part 2 of my day. I'll probably be up all night, but I can live with that.

Got a call from Kathy this morning that there was an accident outside my office. She couldn't see the building for the emergency vehicles, but it looked like it was intact. I didn't even bother to check it out. I'm on call so if it was anything worth worrying about, I'd get paged.

Just went out to get the mail. We have new neighbors that have taken over the street, literally. They have 3 cars, a boat and a jeep with flat tires. He's turning the garage into a "man cave" so they won't park anything in the garage. He's also tearing out his old fence and throwing the old planks in the street for city pick up, which they only will do once a month and just did it, for him, last week. Today there is a block long 5th wheel, still attached to the monster truck, parked across the front of the house, so they've taken over every bare space on the street for their vehicles. The boat ended up on the corner next to my driveway. Did I mention that there are only 2 of them living in the house? Between them and the house down the street with the junk piled in the driveway, we look like a scrap yard.

Love the weather. Been low 80's for weeks. It's mid June for Heaven's sake. It should be 90-110. I'm enjoying it while I can. We have one weather-guy who keeps talking about our monsoonal moisture. Great term. It can monsoon all it wants if I get to keep this with the slight breeze.

No State budget. What else is new? Everyday is a worse proposal. Now the State wants to borrow from the Counties. Who are they kidding? It is ugly in California. One of my co-workers was talking about legislators yesterday. I swore I heard her say Legislative Whores. She says that's not what she said, but it fits anyway. We have one program that defers jail time for certain drug offenders if they get treatment. Arnold has been trying to defund it since he got into office. The local law enforcement agencies hate the program, saying it doesn't work and decriminalizes drug use. Now it looks like it will finally get eliminated, but law enforcement has now decided it will impact their staffing too much, so they want it kept. I started calling them Grant Sluts. So we have Legislative Whores and Grant Sluts. No wonder California is a mess. To really show what a mess it is, I'm working on 2 board of supervisors agendas to go on the same day. One to eliminate the program I just mentioned and one to add $7million in prevention dollars. Weird.

But for now, I'm appreciating my quiet at home. Thinking about a bubble bath.

ps - speaking of weird, my latest allergic reaction - red and yellow coated generic Tylenol.
.
.

No comments: