Saturday, May 30, 2009

Allergies, Allergies and More Allergies

I've got a new one, but don't know what it it. I'm getting so tired of this. I hit 50 and my body is revolting (in more ways than one).

I bought Skittles Sours at Discovery Kingdom on Monday when we went. I've nibbled on them for 3 days. On the fourth day all hell broke loose. They were the only thing I had eaten that day so it was pretty obvious what set me off. My throat swelled and I got a lump in it. Went home, took a benedryl and crashed. Next day, still swollen. The benedryl always works. Called the allergist who said it is either the dyes in the candy or one of the artificial flavors. But since Skittles is full of so many, there's no way to tell. She gave me a shot of dekatrin in the butt and script for Prednazone and told to make sure I always have it on hand with my EpiPen.

She told me she had a patient who was allergic to Red Dye 40. They didn't know it until he started listing the items he'd eaten and had reactions to...Big Red gum, Laffy Taffy and some else that was red. Unfortunately, I threw away the remaining skittles and the bag, so I can't check and haven't found the sours anywhere yet. I looked at a regular skittles package and sure enough - red dye 40. So now I have a notebook to keep track of what sets me off. particularly watch for red stuff. I'm sitting here eating toast with Pomegranite jelly on it. Very red, but also homemade and I'm pretty sure the red is the pom seeds. Carol would have no need to color it.

Kathy, Vicki and I went to see Menopause, the Musical last Tuesday. What a Hoot! We are trying to decide if we want to spend the $$$ to Wicked! in SF before it goes away again. We keep missing it and this may be our last chance.

Scooby is demanding to be picked up (he's not really spoiled) and I can't type and scratch at the same time. Bravo Yankee Echo (too much NCIS).
.

No comments: